Here is a post-RECon roundup of interesting stories from the past week or so. I've tried to categorize them a bit rather than presenting a single list since there are so many interesting links here.
Expansion of TALF
- May 19, The Federal Reserve Board's press release announcing the expansion.
- May 20, NREI, Fed Extends TALF to Include Legacy CMBS.
- May 20, Washington Post, Fed Widens Effort to Back Commercial Real Estate Loans.
- May 21, Bloomberg, Commercial Mortgage Bonds Rally on Fed's Legacy Assets Plan.
- May 21, Deal Junkie's ICSC Roundup.
- May 19, Retail Traffic, Charting a Path for a Retail Real Estate Recovery.
- May 19, Retail Traffic, RECon Update.
- May 19, NREI, Welcome Green Shoots for Beleaguered Retail Industry.
- May 17, Retail Traffic, Preliminary Thoughts on RECon.
- May 19, New York Times, Mini Versions of Big-Box Stores.
- May 22, CNNMoney.com, Stores that may not make it to recovery.
- May 26, New York Post, Syms and Men's Wearhouse Look to buy Filene's.
- May 26, CNBC, Consumer Confidence Sees Biggest Jump in 6 Years.
- May 20, At REITs, a Debate on Debt.
- May 20, General Growth Won't Sell at Discount, Taubman Says.
- May 24, Simon Property Group has lots of cash, flexibility despite weak economy.
Latest Commercial Real Estate Doom and Gloom Reports
- May 19, New York Post, Banks Worry About Next Wave of Loan Defaults.
- May 21, The Big Picture, CRE Faltering.
- May 22, Wall Street Journal, Recession Turns Malls Into Ghost Towns.
- May 24, New York Post, No New Lease on Trillions in Debt.
- May 26, New York Observer, Three Cheers for Pessimism!
Research and Data
- May 19, Moody's/Real Commercial Property Prices Index, May Results
- May 20, AIA, The AIA Architecture Billings Index for April shows conditions weak, but stabilized.
- May 20, Standard & Poor's, Insurers: Pain from Commercial Real Estate?.
- May 22, Loopnet, New “LoopNet Pulse Poll” Results: Commercial Real Estate Market Participants See Recovery Beginning In 2010.
- May 26, Research Recap, U.S. REITs Recovering but Not Out of the Woods.
- May 19, New York Times, At $2.3 Billion, This Mall Could Be Too Big to Fail. (A look at the Xanadu project in New Jersey.)
- May 20, Wall Street Journal, Phoenix Mall Stalls. (A look at the CityNorth project.)
- May 21, Reuters, Temporary leases please U.S. malls, retailers.
- May 22, Retail News Financing Notes: Real Estate Is About Risk Shift. ,
- May 22, Chicago Tribune, Stores at Westfield malls jump in to circular ad campaign.
- May 24, Chicago Tribune, Malls stage events to make play for people's shopping dollars.
- May 26, Boston Globe, Developers see opportunity in car-dealer lots.