Here are some key stories on retail and retail real estate from the past two days.
- There are two stories worth checking out from our sister publication NREI. There's a report that looks at the recently announced merger between Colliers International and FirstService Real Estate Advisors that will create a brokerage behemoth on par with CB Richard Ellis and Jones Lang LaSalle. Another worthwhile piece examines the latest trends in CMBS delinquencies based on a report from Trepp LLC.
- CoStar has a piece looking at how the New Year has started with a flurry of foreclosures and receiverships on retail properties.
- Macy's announced plans to close five stores. The closures are the result of an annual effort to close underperforming locations.
- We have our first retail bankruptcy of the year. Ski Market, a retailer of outdoor products and winter sports gear filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The chain operates seven locations.
- The Los Angeles Times examined what's happening with big-box vacancies in California, a trend we covered on a national basis in a feature we posted yesterday.