- Retailers in its database currently plan to open 66,532 stores over the next 24 months, which is 1.2 percent higher than last month’s total of 65,723.
- Leading retailers in the expansion of new stores include Dollar General, Quizno’s, Anytime Fitness and Five Guys Famous Burgers. Dollar General took over the top spot as Quizno’s curtailed initial store opening plans.
- The retailers that plan to grow the most based on 24-month expansion plans as a percentage of existing store base include: Children’s Orchard, A & W Restaurants, Randall’s -Tom Thumb, Cash Store and Crazy 8.
- Notable increases in planned store openings vs. original expectations by category come from specialty gift, printing, and furniture rental stores. Conversely, furniture, video rentals, and beauty supplies are at the top of the list of categories contracting original expectations.
- For retailers with over 100 stores, Crazy 8, Five Below, Oakley, and hhgregg, increased expansion plans the most this year. Lenny’s Sub Shop, Firehouse Subs, Petland and Learning Express have curtailed expectations since December 2009
Sources: RBC Capital Markets, RetailTrac