It was a pretty quiet weekend on the retail real estate front. Here's just a handful of items that caught my eye.
- Retail Sails provided an update on how the back-to-school shopping season is unfolding. There are a bunch of interesting charts in the post. It looks at NRF's data and America's Research Group's findings. It's a great roundup of what the analysts are saying right now.
- Retail's BIG J.C. Penney's Manhattan opening. JC Penney made its New York debut on Friday. Mayor Bloomberg showed up as did J.C. Penney Chairman and CEO Myron E. (Mike) Ullman III. So this wasn't your run of the mill J.C. Penney debut. looked at
- We've seen tons of store closures already this year. But there's another big entity looking at closing locations that could hurt some shopping centers. The U.S. Postal Service is looking at consolidating 3,243 of its 4,851 largest branches.
- Is it too soon to start speculating about the holiday shopping season? Apparently not. The Wall Street Journal looked at the very, very early start to the holiday shopping season. I posted on this once before.
- Lastly, the New York Times looked at the trend of high-end retailers offering big discounts.